Top 25 Oddest Job Interview Questions Asked in 2011
When sitting down for a interview at a top U.S. company, you’d typically expect the interviewer to slam you with questions about your past history, testing your abilities, and knowledge of the company.
You wouldn’t think it was the time or the place to start asking about your opinion on garden gnomes or to explore solutions to world hunger, but that’s exactly what happens to some candidates looking to join up with some of America’s Top Companies.
25 Oddest Job Interview Questions: According To The Glass Door
1. “How many people are using Facebook in San Francisco at 2:30pm on a Friday?” – Asked at Google.
2. “Just entertain me for five minutes, I’m not going to talk.” – Asked at Acosta.
3. “If Germans were the tallest people in the world, how would you prove it?” – Asked at Hewlett-Packard.
4. “What do you think of garden gnomes?” – Asked at Trader Joe’s.
5. “Is your college GPA reflective of your potential?” – Asked at the Advisory Board.
6. “Would Mahatma Gandhi have made a good software engineer?” –Asked at Deloitte.
7. “If you could be #1 employee but have all your coworkers dislike you or you could be #15 employee and have all your coworkers like you, which would you choose?” – Asked at ADP.
8. “How would you cure world hunger?” – Asked at Amazon.com.
9. “Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?” – Asked at Pinkberry.
10. “Does life fascinate you?” – Asked at Ernst & Young.
11. “Given 20 ‘destructible’ light bulbs (which breaks at certain height), and a building with 100 floors, how do you determine the height that the light bulb breaks?” – Asked at QUALCOMM.
12. “Please spell ‘diverticulitis’.” – Asked at EMSI Engineering.
13. “Name 5 uses of a stapler without staple pins.” – Asked at EvaluServe.
14. “How much money did residents of Dallas/Ft. Worth spend on gasoline in 2008?” – Asked at American Airlines.
15. “How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator?” – Asked at Horizon Group Properties.
16. “You have a bouquet of flowers. All but two are roses, all but two are daisies, and all but two are tulips. How many flowers do you have?” – Asked at Epic Systems.
17. “How many planes are currently flying over Kansas?” – Asked at Best Buy.
18. “How many different ways can you get water from a lake at the foot of a mountain, up to the top of the mountain?” – Asked at Disney Parks & Resorts.
19. “What is 37 times 37?” –Asked at Jane Street Capital.
20. “If you could be a superhero, what power would you possess?” – Asked at Rain and Hail Insurance.
21. “If you were a Microsoft Office program, which one would you be?” –Asked at Summit Racing Equipment.
22. “Pepsi or Coke?” – Asked at United Health Group.
23. “Are you exhaling warm air?” – Asked at Walker Marketing.
24. “You’re in a row boat, which is in a large tank filled with water. You have an anchor on board, which you throw overboard (the chain is long enough so the anchor rests completely on the bottom of the tank). Does the water level in the tank rise or fall?” – Asked at Tesla Motors.
25. “How do you feel about those jokers at Congress?” – Asked at Consolidated Electrical.
Questions via theglassdoor
Could you answer any of them? What’s the weirdest job interview question you’ve ever gotten? Let us know in the comments below!
Maximillian Garland | Bright Futura Columnist