7 Dumb Mistakes That Kill Your Car (& Possibly You)
Let’s face it, some people are idiots, and this isn’t a uniquely phenomenon reserved for the elderly or teenagers. You yourself can be pretty dumb as well. What? You don’t think so? Well then why is it that you knowingly destroy one of the most expensive pieces of property you have.
Maybe you are aware and just don’t care. Perhaps you aren’t and you blame ignorance. What ever your reason I have the solution. I have complied a list of 7 dumb mistakes you probably do to kill your cars life span. Please note
Oh, so you are going to blame it on ignorance. Well after reading this post you wont have any excuse.
Below Is A Listed Of The Top 7 Dumb Mistakes That Kill Your Car
1. Not Using The Parking Brake
You’ll add years of life to your car.
Yes, that mysterious device that you’ve never used is actually valuable. Who Knew? When you park on an incline, or even on fairly steady ground, without using the parking brake, you’re putting all of the stress of the car on your transmission.
By using the parking brake, you’ll add years of life to your cars transmission. Just remember to disengage it before you start driving again.
2. Not Coming To A Complete Stop Before Shifting
So you’re late to your lecture, and you pull out of a parking space and shift into drive while the car is still coasting backwards. Guess what smarty? You’ve just added months of wear to your transmission in seconds.
Inside your transmission is a complex set of gears, when you shift without stopping like that, you’re asking those gears to work as your brakes, which puts an amazing amount of stress on such a small area. In short, DO NOT DO THIS!
3. Forgetting To Change The Oil
You need to change your oil every 5,000 miles at the most. I repeat you need to change your oil every 5,000 miles at most. That’s really all there is to it.
Frequent oil changes can actually double the life of your car and greatly increase its performance.
Fun fact: Revving the engine in the winter actually doesn’t help “warm up” the car. Although it does technically make the engine hotter, it’s not the kind of “warming up” that you want.
5. Ignoring Your Car’s Sounds
Every sound your car makes means something, if you pay attention, your car can usually tell you exactly what needs fixing.
- If you hear squeaking brakes, you need new break pads.
- If you hear a scraping metal sound, you probably ignored the above sound and it means you need new rotors.
- If you hear yourself screaming you probably ignored both of the above sounds and your brakes are completely dead. (You most likely are as well)
Fun Fact: Over 90% of car owners admit to singing behind the wheel. I think the other 10% are lying…
6. Letting The Interior Go
You’re in a rush again, and you eat most of your disgusting egg and cheese bagel, and toss the rest in the wrapper on the passenger seat. How Lovely!
You know who you are, your car is filthy, never been vacuumed, 15 Air Fresheners hang on the mirror, and yet, no air freshener made by mortal man can stop the sickening wind within your car.
Simply and plan if you don’t vacuum your carpets and clean out the garbage every so often, you’ll develop a smell that is impossible to destroy. You will also probably allow the rest of your car to go to crap as well. Clean your car, for the sake of all mankind.
9. Running Your Car Down To Empty
There’s actually a bit of a debate about this one. The old wisdom says if your car gets down to E, the sediment in your tank will get sucked into the system and foul your fuel injectors. Although some mechanics says that’s not true. Either way, running down to E does pose other problems.
You cut the life of the fuel pump considerably, since the fuel actually cools the pump.
An interesting note: Most cars can drive another 60 miles+ after they hit Empty, automakers call this extra gas the “buffer zone”. US cars have the largest “buffer zone” of any vehicles. German drivers, for instance, like to know exactly how much gas in is the car, so their “buffer zone” between the gauge’s E and the actual empty tank is much smaller.
Related: Top 5 Consequences of Sexting
7. Texting While Driving
The first thing I noticed about her was her shoes. Lying in the roadway… I noticed her shoes in a pool of blood. And thought, this was a young girl”
Maximillian Garland | Bright Futura Columnist